Sunday, August 30, 2015

Dreams do come true, if ...

Robert Collier said "Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself."

When I was a boy I had many dreams.  I dreamed of:

  • Being an astronaut
  • Being President of the US someday
  • Being a heavy equipment operator (except when i was a kid i called it "the bulldozer driver" ... and I wanted this more than those first two)
  • Owning my own NHL hockey team
  • Meeting my 'dream' girl
  • Getting married
  • Having kids
  • Going to college
  • Going to college again to get my MBA
  • Working for Ford Motor Company designing cars (crazy idea since I can barely make stick figures)
  • Having a great house (white picket fence was optional) in a great neighborhood
  • etc.
Which of these dreams actually came true?  Believe it or not, most of them.  They didn't always "appear" when I imagined they would ... but somehow, all the things that are truly important to me are now in my life.  There is no doubt that I had many more "dreams" that never came true, but I hardly remember those.  Which probably means that either I didn't really want them or I didn't believe in myself enough to pursue them, maybe both.  Either way I haven't been to the moon yet and no one has voted for me for since I wrote my name on a city council ballot back in 2008. 

I've heard varying schools of belief when it comes to turning dreams into reality.  But near as I can deduce,  the commonality is that you have to believe that it is possible for it to come true.  This may very well be the key to life, happiness and success - belief.  So believe in the worthiness of your dreams and in your ability to achieve them.

I still patiently await the day that I will sit atop that giant Caterpillar earth mover ... I know it's coming!


No comments: