Thursday, August 4, 2011

No man is an Island - Dad's advice

This is a re-post of a blog that I had done on 6/16/08 ... some of the best advice a father could ever give his son.


I was thinking yesterday (Father's Day) about all the advice that my Dad ever gave me, or at least what I remember hearing. As I am sure that when I was a teen I wasn't doing too much listening. Anyway, the one piece of sage advice that still sticks with me today was what my Dad said to me the night before I moved to Florida.

It was a bold move for me. I was leaving home to go to graduate school about 1,200 miles away ... all by myself. This was a choice that I was making partly just to get out from under the roof that I had lived under for over twenty years. It's been almost 17 years and I am still there.

In any case, we were in the driveway of my parent’s house. I was finishing up packing my car with all the essentials ... two or three pairs of clean underwear, 50 posters of super-models & famous actresses and a calculator (I wasn't sure if I'd need it, but it was small and fit in the glove box so no harm in bringing it). Dad was letting the dogs out to stretch their legs before bed time.

Coincidentally (?), we finished up at the same time and as we were walking into the house Dad said to me "Warren, no man is an island, remember that." I was stunned. I am not even sure if I responded with anything more than an obligatory "Okay, Dad." BAM! Out of left field, with no conversation leading up to it, Dad dropped on me "no man is an island." Perhaps one of the most profound things he has ever said and something that I had heard before.

What I do remember thinking at the time was 'what the heck is this guy talking about and why is he saying it to me.' What I realize now was that he was preparing me for life on my own. Basically, letting me know that I wasn't alone, nor should I try to be alone.

Of course, I was a young man who knew everything back then ... I'm sure glad that I've forgotten enough to finally start listening. Though I still struggle with it at times, I realize now that I am not an island, I can't do it all myself and when I try to it doesn't always turn out well. I have my wife, my children, my friends and neighbors ... I am not an island, I am not alone. Life gets easier when I (you?) accept this fact.

Thanks Dad, Happy Father's Day!

No comments: