Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Being "that guy" or "that girl"

I guess today you find me bragging on myself ... but I am "that guy" and you should be too.

As I talk to friends and colleagues there seems to be one thing that all of us who own phones (which is all of us) are plagued by:

               1) Erroneous, constant and annoying calls from telemarketers & fundraisers

Like many, I have a personal and a work cell phone ... plus, I still have a landline at the house!   Everyday there is a minimum of two calls to each of my numbers that are from the dreaded fundraisers or telemarketers.  Most of the time they don't pronounce my name correctly, some of the time they call asking for the ex-wife - correcting them doesn't seem to matter, they just say (paraphrasing) "oh, gee ... guess you'll do."  And, without fail, if you don't answer they don't leave a message.  Safe to say, they didn't really need to talk to you!

Today was a little different.  I received a call from an unknown number that was from a city I've never been to, or, done business with.  I was busy at the time, so I didn't answer.  When I wasn't busy I noticed that there was a voicemail, curiosity got the best of me, so I listened to the voicemail!

The message was a mis-dialed call from a man who sounded like he owned a small well drilling/servicing business and was calling someone back about a potential job.

      [Here's where I pat myself on the back ...]

Visions were running through my head of a guy who is trying to make a living servicing customers who desperately need water!  Of course I had to let him know that he got the wrong number!   Someone out there was dying of thirst or couldn't shower because their well pump wasn't working.   Immediately, I texted him and let him know that he called a wrong number.  I felt it was the right thing to do.

Regardless of the visions that ran through my head, the right thing to do was to let him know he reached the wrong person.  It only took me one minute to send the man a text and I've got 1,440 everyday that I get to choose how to use.  The action that I took is what used to be known as "common courtesy."

I felt it was a good use of my time ... and then this happened ...

The mystery well driller texted back!  It was a simple "thank you."

Another example of "common courtesy!"

And then, I knew it was a good use of my time!  Please be "that guy" or "that girl" today.

Thank you and have a blessed day!

No comments: