Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Life is too short, live happy!

It use to be that if I met someone who seemed perpetually and unnecessarily happy I would dislike them.  They wouldn't have known how I felt, I am pretty sure that I hid my disdain well.  But, I never thought to ask them "hey, why are you so happy and smiling all the time?"

Looking back I would say that I was envious.  I'm sure that I didn't ask the "why" question because I was certain that they were faking it.  Regardless of their response, I was perfectly comfortable with my fleeting moments of happiness that were thrust upon me by some late night show or comedy hour.  There was no need for me to change my disposition! 

Perhaps I was afraid of their answers ... What if being happy all the time was a lot of work?  What if their prescription had been to watch three hours of Seinfeld each day and read the Sunday comics from every national newspaper by noon on Sunday?  Would I have put that kind of effort in?  Or worse, what if their responses were something like "I don't know, it sure beats being sad all the time!"  Or "I'm just happy to be alive!" ICK!

Fast forward many, many years ... and I now realize how easy it is to be happy!  It's not a lot of work, but it does take focus. There aren't long hours at the gym, or late nights at the library reading "Comedy for Dummies".  It's really as simple as choosing.  Yes, being happy is a choice!

There are a lot of bad things in the world (earthquakes, wars, famine, etc); and many people (like the old me) that either wonder why or will purposely try to derail your happiness.  And there are a lot of good things in the world (waterfalls, national parks, puppies, rainbows, etc) and good people (neighbors who help you clean up after a storm).  This is where the focus comes in: focus on the good, be thankful for what you have and try to serve others whenever possible.  Don't watch the news, Jerry Springer or Judge Judy.  Fill your mind with things like rainbows, puppies, waterfalls ... and yes, why not unicorns too?  Life is too short, live happy!

No comments: