Sunday, February 19, 2012

25 X 19 = 475

Today I checked my personal email! A momentous occasion for me because I have a work email address that I must check several times each day; which is also handily delivered to my blackberry. But today was the day that I chose to check my personal email. Most anybody that knows me uses my work email if they need to send me anything, mainly because they know I check that one.

My inbox counter said that there were 493 new messages. I sorted them by ‘sender’ and quickly selected the ones that I wanted to save or respond to – that was a total of 18! Out of nearly 500 email messages fewer than 4% were ones that I felt were relevant. Put another way, my inbox was 96% clutter.

I wonder what other parts of my life are filled with this much clutter? What can I do to reduce or eliminate it? Are the meetings I go to ‘clutter’? Are the few shows I watch on TV clutter? Where else can I ‘delete’ clutter, leaving more time and energy to focus on the things I want to do?

No comments: